Available in versions: Dev (3.19) | Latest (3.18) | 3.17 | 3.16 | 3.15 | 3.14 | 3.13 | 3.12 | 3.11 | 3.10 | 3.9
Different use cases for jOOQ
Applies to ✅ Open Source Edition ✅ Express Edition ✅ Professional Edition ✅ Enterprise Edition
jOOQ has originally been created as a library for complete abstraction of JDBC and all database interaction. Various best practices that are frequently encountered in pre-existing software products are applied to this library. This includes:
- Typesafe database object referencing through generated schema, table, column, record, procedure, type, dao, pojo artefacts (see the chapter about code generation)
- Typesafe SQL construction / SQL building through a complete querying DSL API modelling SQL as a domain specific language in Java (see the chapter about the query DSL API)
- Convenient query execution through an improved API for result fetching (see the chapters about the various types of data fetching)
- SQL dialect abstraction and SQL clause emulation to improve cross-database compatibility and to enable missing features in simpler databases (see the chapter about SQL dialects)
- SQL logging and debugging using jOOQ as an integral part of your development process (see the chapters about logging)
Effectively, jOOQ was originally designed to replace any other database abstraction framework short of the ones handling connection pooling (and more sophisticated transaction management)
Use jOOQ the way you prefer
... but open source is community-driven. And the community has shown various ways of using jOOQ that diverge from its original intent. Some use cases encountered are:
- Using Hibernate for 70% of the queries (i.e. CRUD) and jOOQ for the remaining 30% where SQL is really needed
- Using jOOQ for SQL building and JDBC for SQL execution
- Using jOOQ for SQL building and Spring Data for SQL execution
- Using jOOQ without the source code generator to build the basis of a framework for dynamic SQL execution.
The following sections explain about various use cases for using jOOQ in your application.
Do you have any feedback about this page? We'd love to hear it!